By now, most people have heard of dental implants. However, a recent study published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery tells us that many misconceptions about dental implants exist. Many patients who want to replace missing teeth are interested in dental implants in Bangor, ME but need more details to make an informed decision.
Today you have plenty of excellent options for tooth replacement. Dental bridges and removable full or partial dentures will all complete your smile and restore chewing function. All of these are time-tested, affordable solutions that deliver fast results, but both will eventually need to be replaced.
The most significant benefit of a dental implant is that it replaces an entire tooth, from the root to the crown. Once it’s surgically positioned in your jaw and allowed to heal, it’s as much a part of your jaw structure as your natural teeth are.
Comparing Tooth Replacements
To understand the value of dental implants, you need to see the benefits they offer compared to other tooth-replacement methods.
- Dentures only restore about 10 percent of your chewing ability; dental implants restore 90 percent.
- Removable dentures can be unstable, which causes speech problems and embarrassment. Implant-retained dentures are held firmly in place with a dental implant.
- You need to have your dentures relined every three to five years, but aside from excellent routine oral care, dental implants are virtually maintenance-free.
- A dental bridge has a lifespan of between 5 and 15 years, whereas your dental implant is permanent with proper care. This longevity makes an implant a cost-effective choice over the long term.
- An implant is the only tooth replacement that helps maintain healthy bone density in your jaw. The presence of the artificial tooth root helps maintain healthy bone levels in your jaw and prevent bone deterioration that occurs after tooth loss.
Call Us with Your Dental Implant Questions
We’re used to hearing questions from our Bangor, ME patients about dental implants, and we have the answers you need. Please call Maine Family Dental to arrange a dental appointment with Dr. Travis Buxton to get started.