Laser Dentistry in Bangor, ME
A large part of providing our patients with the best possible dental care is offering the latest technologies in the field of dentistry. Accordingly, Maine Family Dental dentist Dr. Travis Buxton is trained to perform laser dentistry. Laser technology can be useful in many different circumstances and may have some advantages over traditional procedures.
Some examples of how we use dental lasers are:
- Periodontal treatment – Using laser dentistry, your Bangor, ME dentist can often remove tissue damaged by gum disease without a scalpel. The laser kills harmful bacteria, speeds recovery, and stimulates regeneration of the cells in the treatment area.
- Fillings – Laser therapy may be used for removing tooth decay and preparing a cavity for the placement of a filling. Laser treatment also prepares the tooth surface for bonding.
Schedule a Dental Appointment to Learn More
Laser treatment may also be used during root canal treatments, for treatment of ulcers, and more. Schedule your dental appointment at Maine Family Dental Practice to find out if laser dentistry is the right choice for you.
- What Laser Dentistry Can Do for You
- Treatments We Perform with Laser Dentistry
- Laser Dentistry and Periodontal Disease
- Cosmetic Procedures We Perform with Dental Lasers
- Oral Health Benefits of Laser Dentistry
- Who Should Choose Laser Dentistry
- Is Laser Dentistry Right for You?
What Laser Dentistry Can Do for You
By utilizing laser dentistry at our Bangor, ME dental office, Dr. Buxton offers our patients comfortable, virtually pain-free treatment. Cutting-edge dental lasers allow us to get rid of bacteria or infected tissue without harming surrounding tissue.
Dental lasers result in greater comfort for our patients because they minimize the pain associated with many dental procedures. Clinical studies have found that about 96 percent of all patients don’t require anesthesia when dental lasers are used during treatment.
Dental lasers are safe for both adults and children and are approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration.
Treatments We Perform with Laser Dentistry
Combining the laser with a gentle spray of water enables Dr. Buxton to perform certain dental procedures without the need for a drill or anesthesia.
At Maine Family Dental, we use laser dentistry to perform several dental treatments comfortably and efficiently:
- Treating periodontal disease by getting rid of diseased tissue from underneath the gums and sterilizing the periodontal pockets
- Fixing a “tongue tie” in children where the band of tissue between the tongue and bottom of the mouth is too tight and restricts proper movement.
- Exposing a greater amount of tooth structure to ensure that a dental crown has enough support.
- Improving the appearance of a “gummy” smile by removing excess gum tissue.
- Removing cold sores and fever blisters and minimizing the risk of further outbreaks in the same area.
- Preparing and filling of cavities without the need for a drill improves comfort and eliminates the need for injections in most cases.
We would love to show you how laser dentistry at our Bangor, ME dental office can benefit you; please call Maine Family Dental to arrange a convenient appointment.
Laser Dentistry and Periodontal Disease
It is important to treat gum disease as soon as possible because the health of your gums is closely connected to the health of your body. We now know that infections that start in your mouth can travel to other parts of your body and lead to complications with heart and lung disease, diabetes, strokes, dementia, and pregnancy complications. But some patients worry about having this gum disease treatment because they think it involves uncomfortable surgery.
There is no reason to worry with gentle laser dentistry because treatment for gum disease can be done painlessly. Dental lasers also can pinpoint infected gum tissue and aid in the regeneration of healthy gum tissue.
Cosmetic Procedures We Perform with Dental Lasers
We often combine laser dentistry with cosmetic dentistry at our Bangor, ME dental office.
- Teeth whitening – During your in-office teeth whitening treatment, we apply the gel to your teeth and use the energy from the dental laser to activate the whitening agent.
- Gum contouring – Also called gingival contouring, we offer this procedure to patients who don’t like their “gummy” smile. Removing excess gum tissue makes the crowns of your teeth look longer and result in a more harmonious, balanced smile.
- Dental crowns and veneers – Some patients who are getting these dental restorations can benefit from removing some gum tissue to ensure proper support and a comfortable fit.
Would you like to find out if laser dentistry could be a part of achieving a more attractive smile? Please call our Bangor, ME dental office to arrange an appointment with Dr. Buxton to learn more.
Oral Health Benefits of Laser Dentistry
By utilizing laser dentistry at our Bangor, ME dental office, Dr. Buxton offers our patients comfortable treatment that is virtually pain-free. Cutting-edge dental lasers allow us to get rid of bacteria or infected tissue without harming surrounding tissue.
There are many other advantages to treating certain problems with dental lasers:
Combining the laser with a gentle spray of water enables Dr. Buxton to perform several dental procedures without the need for a drill or anesthesia.
- We can significantly reduce post-procedure bleeding and discomfort using dental lasers.
- No invasive, painful cutting of the gums is needed when we use dental lasers.
- Using dental lasers, Dr. Buxton can be more precise when removing diseased tissue.
- Since dental lasers stimulate the regrowth of healthy tissue, they actually enhance your oral health.
- Laser dentistry is so comfortable that it is perfect for young children or nervous patients.
With laser technology, your Bangor, ME dentist provides accurate, precise treatment. Dental lasers benefit your oral health because Dr. Buxton can remove the least amount of healthy tooth material and tissue possible. Preservation of healthy tissue can help facilitate healing.
And laser dentistry is perfect for kids! Since we can often perform laser treatments without the need for a shot, it is a great way to treat dental issues in children. This allows children to receive the treatment they need without the fear and anxiety associated with needles.
Who Should Choose Laser Dentistry
Do you have a fear of needles? Do you have trouble sitting still for long periods? Do you have a young child who needs dental treatment?
Then laser dentistry at our Bangor, ME dental office may be an excellent choice in all these cases
If the sound of a drill triggers your dental anxiety, you’ll be pleased to know that dental lasers are very quiet. If you hate getting shots, laser dental treatment is so comfortable that we can often eliminate the need for injections
Using laser dentistry also allows us to provide treatment that is generally less invasive than surgery with traditional instruments. The result is minimal bleeding and faster recovery times.
Is Laser Dentistry Right for You?
We know that many people are fearful of going to the dentist. We want you to know that effective treatment can be performed without invasive procedures! Our skillful dentists are proud to offer this type of technology to maximize the results of your dental care plan.
Ask Dr. Buxton if he recommends laser dentistry in your case. Laser treatment is safe and effective for the whole family.
Schedule an appointment at our Bangor dental office to discuss treatment options like laser dentistry by calling 207-947-1166.