Periodontal (gum) disease can be tricky to diagnose on your own since there are not many signs, symptoms, or pain in the earliest stages. Since it is an infection of your gums, some of the first signs to be aware of are:
- Gums that appear red, irritated, or swollen
- Gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Chronic halitosis, or bad breath that you can't get rid of
These are the symptoms that indicate early gum disease, or gingivitis. If you notice them, it is best to be proactive and contact your dentist right away for an examination because gingivitis can often be successfully managed with a thorough cleaning and improvements to your home care routine.
Symptoms of advanced stage of gum disease
- Pain or tenderness when biting or chewing
- Your teeth begin to feel mobile
- Your gums are receding
- A metallic taste in your mouth
In this stage of gum disease, a deeper cleaning called scaling, and root planing is required to remove plaque and tartar buildup from below the gum line. Antibiotic therapy may also be recommended, or surgery for severe cases.
Get your periodontitis treated today
No matter which stage of gum disease Bangor, ME you might be facing, Br. Buxton and his team at Maine Family Dental are well equipped to help! Give us a call today to learn more.