Signs You May Need an Extra Trip to the Dentist
It’s fairly common knowledge that going the dentist twice each year is necessary to maintain good oral health. But sometimes those scheduled trips to the dentist might not be enough. How do you know if you are experiencing something that requires an extra trip to the dentist? There are usually warning signs that something is going wrong, and these warning signs will vary from person to person.
Let’s take a look at some of the warning signs that might be telling you it’s time to visit your general dentist in Bangor, ME.
Signs of Potential Dental Trouble
Your mouth might be giving you a signal that something is going on if you are experiencing any of these issues:
- Gums that are bleeding or inflamed might be telling you that you have gum disease. Gingivitis is gum disease in its early stages; periodontitis is gum disease that has reached a more serious stage. Both need to be checked out by your dentist immediately.
- If you have bad breath that persists, even after brushing and flossing thoroughly, this too can be an indicator of gum disease.
- Occasional canker sores in your mouth are normal, and they should clear up after a few days. If you have one that lingers longer than that, be sure to give your general dentist in Bangor, ME, a call to make an appointment.
- There are a number of reasons you could be experiencing dry mouth, such as age or medication, but if there seems to be no reason for the sudden onset of dry mouth symptoms, there could be something going on, such as tooth or gum problems.
- If you notice a metallic taste in your mouth, this could be a sign of the onset of gum disease.
- Pain in your mouth is never normal, so if you are experiencing jaw or tooth pain, this is definitely a sign to go see your dentist right away.
- Sudden sensitivity to hot and cold foods could be an indicator of tooth decay.
- Other changes in your mouth, such as discoloration or lumps in your cheeks, gums, or tongue could be a sign of problems, and you need to have this examined.
Make an Appointment Today
If you’re experiencing any of these warning signs or symptoms, don’t hesitate to schedule a dental appointment with Maine Family Dental, your general dentist in Bangor, ME.